Wednesday, October 15, 2008

20 something vs 30 something women





Revisiting the *Sex and the City* 20 something women vs the 30 something women.

FRIENDS OR FOE... For all the ardent S&C fans, who remember this episode, allow me to remind you that this is the perspective of a 20 something woman! I believe that if the 30 something story has been put forward, I deserve a right to put across my side of the story as well.

Somehow I realized that 30 something women are actually not foes to us, neither are they friends. They have been immortalized as 'Thirty Flirty and Thriving' which is not really the case most of the times. No harm intended, but I guess by the time you are 30 you are too exasperated with life, and you start caring too much about the 20 something woman. The 20 something woman on the other hand is one of great strength, foolish dreams and fashion misjudgments (well, not all! ;P). They generally don't notice the 30 something women, until, they find their boyfriend cheating on them with a Thirty Flirty!

Is it really a rivalry, I don't know... I don't know if the "vs" suits in this phrase either. Do the 30 something woman really care, or are they actually watching us closely?? Do they judge or Do we judge them? I have no answers now..but I am trying my best to fathom why the lady on the 12h floor office (in her pretty pink suit and handful of chudas/bangles) keep staring at me in the lift: I HATE being judged. Not that I don't judge them (not to sound hypocritical here) but the truth is, I really don't know what these women are looking for. I mean they must have already achieved whatever WE are still looking for..right!?! They must have met the man of their dreams (hence the red&white bangles), and they must have been promoted enough to buy the car they drive to office in. So, I really don't get it.

20s is the time, when office romances blossom, while by the time you are 30, you see through them. We fear the 30s too btw! We live in an endless fear of reaching the 30s. We don't get them too! They are just too damn organized. To be a fearless 30 is a matter of envy to the 20s. If all our dreams are sifted through quickly we can pick up a piece of 'aging gracefully' as our biggest desire and our biggest fear. The truth is Life starts at your 20s. Come to think of it, it is the first time that you actually taste freedom in the true sense of the term. Leave aside the fashion misjudgments, they were bound to happen (it happened when you were 12 yrs too.. with the frilly frocks and the netted stockings your mom bought for you ;P) So leave these extra baggage behind and start enjoying the 20s, cos you never know when you cross over to the 30 something side... And mind it! there is no coming back my friend..!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love the 30s as long as I don't become like the teen bahuranis!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you wont turn out like that Khushboo! ;P

    ReplyDelete